From Tuesday, November 6 to Friday, November 9, the Savannah Food & Wine Festival invites foodies to taste and learn with some of the country’s culinary and beverage experts and authors. From savory southern staples to tastes with a Master of Wine, this year’s lineup promises to offer something for everyone’s palate.
Chef Vishwesh Bhatt, who grew up in Gujarat, India, has lived and worked in the South for three decades. “Southern food, much like the food I grew up with, is about family,” he commented. It is a story about people from all over the world who have made the South their home. That resonates with me.”
Bhatt plans to bring his culinary expertise to Savannah on Thursday, November 8 with his very own class at Chef Darin’s Kitchen Table, and he has one thing on his mind: black-eyed peas.
“Black Eyed Peas are one of the many ingredients that illustrate the global influences on South and Southern Foodways,” he shared. “They are a staple in the southern pantry, but they were also a staple in my grandmother’s pantry in Gujarat. They are a great way to demonstrate the things we have in common.”
Chef Bhatt’s class is just one of the many tasty excursions that the festival has to offer. Wine aficionados will not want to miss Master of Wine, Mollie Battenhouse’s “North-to-South Exploration of Coastal Pinot Noir” on Thursday, November 8. For those looking to embrace the harvest of regional farmers and artisans, Chef Brandon Carter, with FARM in Bluffton’s class on mouthwatering Lowcountry flounder ceviche is sure to entice on Friday, November 9.
The Master Classes are intimate classroom settings, priced from $45 a class or from $99 for a day pass – with limited seating available. All classes located at Chef Darin’s Kitchen Table except for two Big Green Egg classes on Friday, November 9, which are located at Peregrin, rooftop at Perry Lane Hotel. More information can be found here.
Tuesday, November 6
- “France Explored: Alsatian Collaborations” Chef Jean Vendeville, Culinary Institute of Savannah-12:00 PM – 1:15 PM
- “Varietal Wines of Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars” Stag’s Leap Brand Ambassador -2:00 PM – 3:15 PM
- “Best of The Cow aka: STEAKS” – Master Butcher, Michael Sullivan – 4:00 PM – 5:15 PM
Wednesday, November 7
- “A Taste of Atlantic Canada with the Kilted Chef” The Kilted Chef, Chef Alain Bosse, Atlantic, Canada Culinary Ambassador – 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM
- “Lucky Sips: Casa Herradura” – Graham Long, Brand Champion – 12:00 PM – 1:15 PM
- “Chardonnay, Riesling, and Syrah: The Best Blind Dates You Never Knew You Needed” Jason Restivo, Sommelier/Owner, Atlantic Neighborhood Eatery -2:00 PM – 3:15 PM
- “Holiday Meals Made Over: New Life for Your Leftovers!” – Chef Darin Sehnert, Owner, Chef Darin’s Kitchen Table – 4:00 PM – 5:15 PM
Thursday, November 8
- “Ringing in Culinary Success” – Chef Vishwesh Bhatt, Snackbar, Oxford, MS – 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM
- “Santa Margherita USA Presents Italy” – Santa Margherita Brand Ambassador -12:00 PM – 1:15 PM
- “Sterling Platinum Experience” – Harry Hansen, Director of Winemaking, Sterling Vineyards -2:00 PM – 3:15 PM
- “North-to-South Exploration of American Coastal Pinot Noir” – Mollie Battenhouse, Master of Wine, National Director of Wine Education, Jackson Family Wines – 4:00 PM – 5:00 PM
Friday, November 9
- “Jump Right In: Kitchen Know How” – Cynthia Graubart, Chef/Author -10:00 AM – 11:15 AM
- “Four Roses: Through the Whiskey Glass” – Four Roses Brand Ambassador -12:00 PM – 1:15 PM
- “Bounties of the Season” – Chef Brandon Carter, FARM, Bluffton, SC -2:00 PM – 3:15 PM
- “Coffee Cocktails” –The Cocktail Bandits, Taneka Reaves & Johnny Caldwell -4:00 PM – 5:15 PM
Big Green Egg Grilling Classes – Peregrin, rooftop Perry Lane Hotel
- “One Hot Egg: Big Green Egg Demo with One Hot Mama” –Chef Orchid Paulmeier, One Hot Mama’s, Hilton Head Island, SC – 2:00 PM – 3:15 PM
- “Let’s Get Cooked: Big Green Egg Demo” – Chef Bob Cook, Edmund’s Oast, Charleston, SC – 4:00 PM – 5:15 PM
The Savannah Food & Wine Festival takes place throughout Savannah, November 5 – 11, 2018 with celebrity chefs and winemakers, connoisseur dinners, one-of-a-kind culinary, spirits and wine experiences. The most up to date festival information is available on the website at www.savannahfoodandwinefestival.com; Twitter: https://twitter.com/SAVFoodWineFest; Instagram: www.instagram.com/SAVFoodWineFest; Facebook: www.facebook.com/SavannahFoodandWineFestival.